You push trough a thorny shrub, suddenly it makes zrrrrrg…
…and all your survival gear starts to fall out of your backpack into a two feet deep puddle.
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast like me you’ll probably have lost more backpacks to nature than you can count and it’s a serious pain in the ass every time it happens.
Invest in a tactical backpack.
Tactical backpacks are more expensive but in exchange they’re made from sturdy, water resistant fabrics and come with clever pocket systems that are really convenient in survival situations.
And there are even more reasons why you should buy a tactical backpack:
- Savings: A survival pack repays itself quickly because you’ll lose fewer backpacks to tear and damage.
- Convenience: The pocket system will allow you to access all your gear much quicker then if you’d use a standard backpack.
- Comfort: There are special straps that’ll help to distribute heavy weights more evenly on your body. Carry more stuff without feeling more weight!
- Utility: Most tactical packs come with a hydration compartment to store water, removable pouches or even hidden compartments.
- Survival: They are made to dry quickly and withstand bad weather, extreme cold or heat and wear & tear situations.
There’s really no excuse not to get a good tactical backpack.
But which tactical backpacks are actually worth your hard earned money?
5.11 Tactical Rush Back Pack
The 5.11 Tactical Rush is probably the most expensive tactical backpack on the market but I think it’s worth the price.
This is one of the very few examples where the manufacturer didn’t skimp on the materials or the bags features to make a quick buck.
Right now the 5.11 Tactical Rush Back Pack costs $148 on Amazon and has a 4.8 star rating (for the 72 hour variant).
- Comes in 72 or 24 hour sizes with a really convenient pocket system.
- Looks great, many colors to choose from.
- Made from water repellent, ultra-dense nylon.
- Has all the straps to distribute the packs weight equally on your upper body.
- Pretty expensive
Just see what this guy says about it:
“I’m an Army officer and this is one of the best packs on the market. It works as an all-purpose, large capacity travel bag and a rough tactical 3-day pack. The build quality is the best out there (1050 denier, stronger than 1650) with sturdy zippers. The multitude of zippered, mesh storage on the inside is GREAT. The cherry on top is its low profile when it’s not filled. If you are only carrying a few things the bag stays thin and doesn’t look like you are going camping at Starbucks.”
Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack
This tactical backpack delivers some amazing value for your money.
The Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack has a unique and super convenient removable bag system.
This pack is actually a combination from many smaller bags that you can take off or add on demand depending where you plan to go and how long you’ll be gone.
Strip it down to the bare minimum and it becomes a great college day pack. Pimp it up all the way and you’ll have a full fetched 72 hour hiking or bug out bag.
You won’t have to buy half a dozen different bags anymore to cover all your needs with the Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack as your all-in-one choice. How cool is that?
- Unique removable pocket system let’s you vary this packs volume and size (“3 bags in 1”).
- Made from good water resistant nylon material.
- Looks amazing, great value for your money.
- No sternum (front / chest) strap can make heavy bags uncomfortable to carry.
See what Scott had to say about it:
“This is one HECK of a backpack. I was looking for a BOB/Vehicle/Stuff all my SHTF items in and this pack is perfect. It keeps swallowing my gear with room for more. Material is top notch, as well as all zippers.”
Mil-Tec Molle Army Patrol Pack
There is not much to say about the Mil-Tec Army Patrol pack. It’s cheap, as in $41.73 cheap and checks all the basics you need for a fine tactical backpack.
The only downside is the really cheap material (it’s made from polyester).
If you need a cheap camping backpack or don’t wander out into the wild too often this pack has great value for it’s money.
But if you’re a seasoned outdoor veteran you’ll want to invest in one of the other backpacks because with polyester the question is not if it will tear but when.
- Super affordable.
- Has all the basics: Padded front and shoulder straps, rugged zippers, convenient pocket system.
- Made from polyester.
- Not really water resistant.
With an average rating of 4.6 on Amazon you can’t go wrong with this military backpack and this Amazon reviewer said it best:
“Solid construction, great organization capabilities. Good value.”
As you can see there are good alternatives compared to your standard run of the mill hiking backpacks and they don’t even have to be expensive.