Discovering new cuisines gives you a taste of culture and cooking styles. Through the years, Australians have turned their eyes to Japanese cuisine because it focuses on simplicity, flavor, and integrity.
If you are a chef or food enthusiast, you would want to delve into cooking and start learning how to prepare these interesting dishes. For that, you can try bringing that Japanese vibe and buy Japanese kitchen knives to add to your ethnic collection. However, we get how hard it can be to find the best ones for you. This article will help you look for a suitable Japanese kitchen knife you can find in Australia so you can get cooking!
Japanese Cuisine and How Australians Fell in Love with It
Japanese cuisine has become increasingly popular in Australia over the years. But with this popularity comes an increased demand for quality ingredients to prepare authentic dishes from scratch—including quality Japanese knives. A common misconception about Japanese kitchen knives is that they are expensive. However, there are many different price points for these knives, and the higher-priced ones have a reputation for being worth it.
These high-quality blades are often hand-forged by expert craftsmen using traditional methods passed down through generations. As a result, their sharpness is unmatched by any other type of blade on the market today. So if you are looking to create deliciously cooked meals, then you can invest in Japanese kitchen knives.
5 Best Japanese Kitchen Knives in Australia
Finding the best Japanese kitchen knives in Australia is a common concern for many, but not everyone knows where to find them. Because there are so many brands out there, it can be tough to know which ones are worth your money. So, here is a list of the five best Japanese cooking knives you can consider adding to your knife collection!
1. TUO Nakiri Knife
TUO promotes exploring and venturing into the cooking world. The brand name further conveys their commitment to continue making higher quality products and attain perfect services to their customers.
In particular, their nakiri knives are double bevel knives designed to cut vegetables particularly. Here are some of its major features:
- High-carbon German stainless steel of HRC
- Full tang feature to improve handling robustness
- Beautifully hand-polished satin finish for the blade
- The tip is meticulously sharpened to 8°-12° on each side, ensuring a razor-sharp blade for every use
- Hand-forged and tempered thoroughly for its durability and longevity
- Easy-to-grip handle for your maximum grip, control, and comfort
2. Miyabi Kaizen 10-Piece Block Knife Set
MIYABI prides itself in its qualities of elegance, purity, and grace. The manufacturing of their knives dates back to the tradition of ancient masters who once wielded Japanese swords. Below are the inclusions and features of the MIYABI Kaizen 10-Piece Block Knife Set:
- 4.5” paring knife
- 5.5” santoku knife
- 3.5” vegetable knife
- 8” chef's knife
- 9.5” slicing knife
- 5” bread knife
- 9” sharpening steel
- bamboo block
- kitchen shears
- The knife's core is made of VG10 super steel, protected by a splendid 64-layer with a flower pattern of Damascus
- Blades feature infallible durability and sharpness through innovative ice-hardening treatment
- Blades are hand-honed
- The handle has a wood-like texture and is balanced and refined
- Handcrafted in Seki, the blade capital of Japan
3. Usuki Gyuto Chef's Knife
Usuki Gyuto Chef's Knife features an elegant-looking blade design made of 9CR18MOV clad steel, making it a great day-to-day companion for chefs. The Usuki brand is focused on giving their valued customers top-quality, cost-effective products to make cooking more interesting.
- The knife handle is made of alloy steel and is octagonal in shape
- The handle is easy-to-grip and nonslip
- Supreme sharpness for precise cutting
- Quality materials used for durability and longevity
- Can be used for dicing, slicing, and mincing
4. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
Ginsu has been making quality knives for over 40 years in the knife-making industry. Ginsu has been labeled one of the sharpest knives on the market and has been at the forefront of well-known cutlery brands. No matter which Ginsu knife you choose, you can guarantee top-quality custom Japanese kitchen knives. Below are the features and inclusions of the Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set:
- Tip to tang is made of premium Japanese steel from
- Perfectly balanced Japanese cooking knives for durability and easy handling
- Has a razor-sharp blade to promote precision and longevity
- 5-inch utility knife
- 6-inch boning knife
- 8-inch chef's knife
- 8-inch bread knife
- 8-inch slicer
- 6-inch cleaver
- eight 4.5-inch steak knives
- honing rod
- kitchen shears
A Japanese kitchen knife can be used to chop various things, including sushi, bread, meat, and more. They are ultra-thin and razor-sharp, making them easy to work with. So when you finally choose the right Japanese kitchen knives, consider your preferences for a chef's knife and go with the one that best meets your needs!
As a final tip, it is a good practice to sharpen your knives a few months after using them. Also, never put your knife in a dishwasher because the high-temperature levels will cause the blade to warp or lose its edge much quicker. Finally, if your knife is made out of carbon steel, it is even more important that you hand wash, dry, and wipe the knife right away.
Interested in other options? You can check out our other reviews of knife brands on our site.