Do you want to step your camping and hunting game up to the next level? Hunt with the finest gear and add a large, all-around hunting knife to your arsenal. Pocket knives and compact knives are essential tools, but you can never go wrong with a big one.
While not as easy to carry, a large hunting knife can be a multipurpose tool, which is a major pro compared to compact knives. From skinning, slicing, and chopping wood to tough meats, this versatile outdoor knife will be able to handle it all.
To help convince you to get your own handy pro-hunting knife, we have compiled some of the best ones online for your next hunting trip. But before we dive into them, let’s first know the qualities of a good hunting knife.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Hunting Knife
The market offers a variety of beautifully crafted knives. So naturally, you will want to get your hands on every single one of them. But before making a decision and investing money in a knife, there are several things you should consider:
Blade Type: Fixed or Folding?
A hunting knife with a folding blade is good enough for your activities if you're a casual hunter. These knives are compact and easy to store. You don't need a special sheath to keep it sharp and protect it from acids that can ruin the knife's blade. It is an excellent go-to knife that easily fits in your pocket when you go on a spontaneous hunting spree.
A folding knife usually has multiple blades for different purposes. It also has a special locking mechanism that keeps your blades in place while you are using it.
If you are a dedicated hunter, you hunt for sports or livelihood. That said, it might be better to invest in a knife with a fixed hunting blade. Fixed blades are excellent for heavy-duty jobs like chopping bamboo and skinning big meat. However, it isn't as compact as folding blades. The knife goes in your belt loop or strapped around your back, but it gives more durability and lasts longer than other blades.
There are a variety of shapes for your blade that you can choose from. Each shape serves a different purpose that brings out the maximum functionality of the knife.
The most common choice for hunters is the drop-point knife. You can immediately identify the knife by the eponymous drop-point shape towards the front of the knife. This knife is excellent for cleaning and skinning your prize catch. In addition, the drop point is specifically designed to prevent puncturing through the object.
Meanwhile, the clip-point blade looks straighter than the drop-point and dramatically curves down towards the tip of the knife. This blade is best for more precise work for your camping chores. The clip point of the knife is very sharp, making it good for puncturing.
If you want to go beyond these two standard blade shapes, you might find the skinner blade to your taste. You can identify this blade by its design that looks curved and convex, almost like a scimitar. This blade is good for skinning big animals like a bear or moose.
It is also important to choose the right handle material for your knife. Most handcrafted knives have handles made from wood. The most common materials for handles are maple and oak wood. Wood handle gives you a better grip on your knives even when it's wet. In addition, it prevents slipping on your grip, causing accidents.
Wood materials need extra care because they can be prone to corrosion, so make sure to store them in a cool and dry place.
High-quality plastic and resin are also used for knife handles. It is durable and safe to use because it does not trigger chemical reactions to other substances that affect the handle's build. However, it can be slippery when wet, so be extra cautious when using it in this condition. These plastics are sometimes lined with aluminum or stainless steel for a balanced feeling on the knife.
The Top 5 Big Hunting Knife
1. Kizer Cutlery Folding Knife
- The Kizer Cutlery folding knife is designed to be a powerful and easy-to-carry knife. In addition, its folding design makes it easy to store and is perfect for people who are into hunting as a hobby.
- The blade is made of CPM-S35VN steel using melting techniques. As a result, it has superior grind ability, stability, and toughness than other steel in the series. The steel also comes with excellent edge retention and anti-rust properties.
- The handle is made from titanium, a lightweight material, and is inlaid with carbon fiber for a better grip. It also has a titanium bolt lock mechanism to ensure that your knife stays in place when in use.
- This knife measures at least ten inches long, which is significantly longer than standard folding knives. This knife can take major camping chores as well as tasks that require precise knife skills.
2. Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B High Carbon S.S. Fixed Blade Knife
- The Smith and Wesson hunting knife has a 5-inch blade made from high-carbon steel, which has excellent blade strength and is also resistant to rust and corrosion. Additionally, the knife is a double blade making it a multipurpose tool.
- The product has a textured rubber handle to strengthen your grip on the knife even when you use it in wet situations. This hunting knife is suitable for butchering fish.
- You can easily carry the knife on the belt loop for convenience. The handle has a hole where you can loop a cable if you don’t have a knife sheath to carry your knife with.
3. Winkler Knives II
- The Winkler Knives is made from Swedish Saw Steel, an extremely durable blade that can cut through tough meats and other heavy hunting tasks.
- The blade is a black oxide finish, so it doesn't flare. The coating also makes the blade rust-resistant and strong to last a lifetime.
- Swedish Saw steel is known for its excellent blade retention. You don't need to sharpen the blade very often to keep it sharp. Just remember to clean the blade every after use to maintain its edge retention.
- The blade is lightweight, coupled with an ergonomic maple wood handle. The blade fits perfectly in your hands and feels well-balanced, so you can perform your knife skills accurately and safely.
4. United Cutlery Marine Force Giant Bowie Knife
- The United Cutlery marine forces large bowie hunting knife measures almost 17 inches and weighs 1.4 pounds which masks this knife as a monster for heavy-duty tasks.
- The knife has a plain and serrated blade in one, making it an excellent multipurpose tool. The serrated blade is good for delicate items that can be easily crushed, while the plain edge of the blade is good for slicing sticky and gamey substances like raw meat.
- The blade's handle is a molded rubber that gives you a better grip on your knife when you execute full force swings and use it under wet conditions.
- The blade uses AUS-6 stainless steel, which has 65% carbon. As a result, it is less durable than other knife blades, but it has excellent edge retention and anti-corrosion properties.
5. Ka-Bar Leather Handled Big Brother Knife
- The knife's overall length is 15 inches long and comes with a leather sheath that protects the blade from harmful chemicals and keeps it sharp when not in use.
- The Ka-Bar big brother knife is made from 1095 Cro-Van steel. 1095 is a type of high carbon steel combined with other chemicals such as nickel, nitrogen, chromium, or vanadium. It has a Rockwell hardness score of 60, which is a good sign of durability.
Complete your hunting gear with a large hunting knife. These knives are heavy-duty and can do almost any camping chores in a single tool. If you love hunting, invest in one and elevate your hunting experience.
Just make sure to know your knife's different features and uses for maximum functionality. Make it last longer and keep its sharpness with regular and proper maintenance. Visit our page and check out our other blogs to explore more options for your next knife purchase!