Your day on the lake has come to a close because, after the long wait, you’ve finally caught a fish! It doesn’t matter if it’s a small perch or a huge halibut, it is worth celebrating because of the patience and persistence you’ve shown just to catch it. You deserve a tasty fish dinner and an ice cold beer.
We know you’re hungry, but don’t ruin your fish in your haste to cook it—an old, dull, inappropriate knife will leave you feeling frustrated with your dinner plans. Instead, use filleting knives that are sharp, flexible, and durable. If you do not have one yet or you want to add another to your arsenal, check out these seven glorious and classic fillet knives from Wusthof!
Classic 7” trailing point filleting knife
Blades with a trailing point edge assist very well in skinning a game and filleting meat and fish; this is a characteristic of Wusthof Classic fillet knives. It is a 7-inch forged X50CrMoV15 carbon stainless steel blade with a thin width of 1.18 inches. The blade has a bolster and finger guard for increased balance and safety.
The full-tang blade is secured in the handle by three rivets. Despite the wet and slimy ingredients you often prepare using this fillet knife, you are sure to have a solid and comfortable grip because of the easy-to-grip handle. It also won’t wear out easily because of the polypropylene material used to mold it.
- The finger guard ensures safety despite preparing wet ingredients.
- The bolster ensures balance when in use.
- The knife is forged making it robust and ready for filleting and skinning tasks.
- You can perform precise cuts for meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Does not come with a leather sheath for knife storage.
Classic Ikon 7” trailing point fillet knife
This 7-inch fillet knife from Wusthof’s Ikon collection is another trailing point blade with an 0.78-inch width forged with high carbon stainless steel. The main difference of this knife versus the Classic fillet knife is its double bolster ensuring you can use it with increased control and balance.
Stability of the full-tang, single piece blade is ensured through the three rivets keeping the blade and the handle in place. The double rivets contribute to the solid grip you can have with the handle. In terms of durability, the synthetic handle does not give up despite skinning and filleting meat and fish repetitively.
- Knife with double bolsters, making it easy to control and look visually pleasing.
- The butt is stamped with the Wusthof logo for authenticity and added accent.
- A knife you can use for filleting fish and cutting fruits and vegetables.
- Forging creates an extra strong blade.
- Does not come with a sheath for knife storage.
Wusthof Classic Ikon fillet knife, 6” straight edge
Do you need to cut your meat into thin slices, but don’t have a machine to do it? Let the Wusthof Classic Ikon 6-inch blade do this task and other similar activities for you. It is another forged blade made of high carbon stainless steel that can assist you in filleting and slicing.
This knife has the signature handle feature of all Classic Ikon knives with two bolsters and three rivets to keep the full-tang blade and the synthetic handle together. The black and silver color combination screams “classic”, so if this design type appeals to you, then this is the perfect knife to have.
- The straight edge enables you to perform filleting, slicing, dicing, and all around kitchen tasks.
- Durable forged knife that you can use for a long time.
- The heel bolster design adds charm to the fillet knife.
- The blade is wider than a usual fillet knife.
- It does not come with knife storage or sheath.
Wüsthof Classic fish fillet knife, 6” straight edge
The paneye, walleye, pan fish, or mackerel that you catch can all be seamlessly filleted with the use of the Classic 6-inch fillet knife. No matter how many fish you catch and fillet, the edge will retain its sharpness and resist corrosion as it is forged from high carbon stainless steel.
The 4.25-inch handle of this knife has a straightforward design with a black color embellished with the red trident logo of Wusthof. The three silver rivets also add beauty and durability to the knife. Wearing out is not within the vocabulary of a Wusthof knife, especially with a handle made of polypropylene.
- Forged high carbon stainless steel knife that you can use for a long time.
- Can handle all-around slicing and cutting tasks in the kitchen.
- The blade is long—perfect length for filleting fish and slicing meat.
- It does not come with a sheath for protection, or knife storage to keep the knife in excellent condition.
Wusthof Classic 7” fillet knife
If you are into fishing salmon of all kinds, you need a slightly longer blade to prepare your catch. You’ll get this with the 7-inch forged blade of the Wusthof Classic fillet knife. Salmon and pink salmon are fish with tough skin and meat, but you’ll surely handle them with this tough knife made out of high carbon stainless steel.
Featured in this 7-inch Wusthof Classic fillet knife is the signature design of the series with a black handle and three silver rivets. This handle keeps the full-tang blade the knife has in place. The 4.25-inch handle made of polypropylene is just perfect for your hand to grip.
- Knife made for filleting medium-sized fish.
- The flat edge makes the knife a perfect all-around knife you can use in the kitchen.
- The full-tang blade ensures you have perfect control while you fillet or slice.
- Not the best knife in preparing small fish like trout, walleye, or mackerel as it may damage the meat.
Classic Wusthof fillet knife, 8” straight edge
Now, off to the fillet knife that has the longest blade at 8 inches. It is the perfect knife to have if the types of fish that you catch are tuna, catfish, halibut, or codfish. You can prepare these fish and huge chops of meat faster with a strong and long knife made out of high carbon stainless steel.
With bigger fish to fillet and slice, you’ll need a knife that gives more balance and control. The full-tang blade held by a 3.86-inch long handle makes this possible. Your hands will surely get wet and slimy as you prepare big fish, but you can still hold the handle because it is easy to grip.
- Knife with a long narrow blade for bigger fish, meat, fruits, or vegetables.
- Forged from single high carbon stainless steel making it very robust.
- The bolster adds balance when you are using the knife.
- A knife as long as this needs to be covered for your protection, but Wusthof currently does not include a sheath or storage with it.
As you can see, the Classic Series and the Classic Ikon Series from Wusthof have signature features like having forged high carbon stainless steel full-tang blades and handles with three rivets. All the handles from the Classic Ikon collection have two bolsters for increased balance and control.
The deciding factor for you is the blade’s design—whether you’ll choose a trailing point or a straight-edged knife. You can also choose between single or double-bolstered classic knives. You may consider the type of fish you prepare or the tasks you do in the kitchen to make your decision easier. Whichever your choice is, enjoy cooking your catch and eating a sumptuous meal with these gorgeous knives from Wusthof!